Around 1 in 3000 people are sensitive to flashing lights, and this, in rare cases, could lead to a seizure. This type of risk is why TV news shows often warn ahead of time that “flash photography may be used in the following news clip”. For most of us, we have come to ignore these announcements because we are not in that group of people at risk, but the risk remains.
Our Health And Safety Questionnaire
Our health and safety questionnaires are completed prior to your first visit to DeepWave. The online form is not only used to ensure that any contraindications or health concerns are understood but also that a baseline of how you are feeling is taken. This baseline of 3 simple ‘how are you feeling’ questions is then revisited as you progress through a course of DeepWave treatment. Working alongside any symptom tracker you may be using; this is a great way to look back and understand how DeepWave may have helped with your health.
Contraindications For Use
We know that DeepWave sessions can produce some fantastic results. But like all good things, there are some circumstances where we need to tread a little more carefully. In our health questionnaire, we will ask you an initial set of questions, focused on the following contraindications. If you answer Yes to any of them, we advise that the light sessions are not suitable for you. You will need to seek medical advice and approval prior to having any light treatment.
- Epilepsy or any kind of seizure, family history of epilepsy.
- Heart condition/Stroke.
- Psychological or psychiatric conditions, including psychosis.
If you answer Yes to any of the questions in the second set, you carry a small increased risk of either having a seizure or having a reaction to the light. We recommend that you seek medical advice prior to having any light treatment.
- Depression/high anxiety*.
- Brain injury/surgery/severe head injury/concussion*.
- Photosensitive medication*.
- Recreational/psychoactive drug use 24 hours before lamp use.
- Health issues requiring treatment.
- Fitted with a cardiac pacemaker*.
- Facial laser treatment in the past month.
- Under the influence of drugs/alcohol.
The risk is very low, but your well-being is our topmost priority, so we will err on the side of caution.
It is also important to note that:
- Adults should only use the lamp.
- The lamp should not be used in conjunction with or used within 24 hours of having taken any recreational or psychoactive drugs or the consumption of alcohol.
Limitations Of Use
It is not intended for:
- Prevention, treatment, relief, or healing of disease.
- Medicinal use or as a substitute for prescribed medicines.
- Use in the diagnosis of any kind of illness or disorder.
- Influencing the physical body in structure or design.
Behaviour Activation And Depression Behavioural activation is a type of therapy that helps people overcome depression by encouraging them to engage in activities that they find enjoyable or rewarding. It’s based on the idea that depression can be made worse